The Quiet Tenant by Clemence Michallon - [ARC] Review

 

Thank you to Knopf, the author, & NetGalley for the ARC. It took me a while to adapt to the second person perspective, which is yourself, but once I did it was an easy read. I would have liked a little more backstory on the serial killer/captor. There was no clear answer to the killer's motives or why he decided to hold one captive. One character, Emily, she really irked me. She is a very questionable character who has to be a bit insane herself to do some of the things she does... Is this a suspenseful thriller? No. Yes, there is a serial killer, a woman captive, and a man planning his next victim, but it seemed very light compared to most thrillers. I see so many reviews calling this "twisty" and I really question whether they actually read the book or not. If they have, was this their first give into the genre?! There weren't any twists. The story played out as expected. Although it was interesting at times, and I did find it enjoyable at times... Overall, it was underwhelming, and I wasn't satisfied with the ending. There were questions left unanswered. Cecilia, his daughter, mentions something that never really comes to light. So much detail throughout the book and then the ending was rushed with little context. This book had so much potential. The author has so much potential.
I did learn after reading this that English is not Clemence Michallon's first language, that's impressive.


Release Date: June 23, 2023 Get it HERE

Comments

Popular Posts